15:01 <jawn-smith> #startmeeting Weekly Ubuntu Foundations team
15:01 <meetingology> Meeting started at 15:01:02 UTC.  The chair is jawn-smith.  Information about MeetBot at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology
15:01 <ginggs> o/
15:01 <meetingology> Available commands: action, commands, idea, info, link, nick
15:01 <jawn-smith> #topic Lightning Round
15:01 <jawn-smith> The status is here: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/foundation-team-updates-thursday-23-june-2022/28994
15:01 <jawn-smith> Let's take our usual time to read and ask questions
15:02 <jawn-smith> sil2100: Your status isn't long enough! You forgot that you reviewed some other PRs
15:03 <mclemenceau> o/
15:03 <jawn-smith> Should paride join these meetings?
15:03 <bdmurray> He is in a server meeting now
15:05 <sil2100> jawn-smith: uh oh! I blame that on writing this during meetings!
15:05 <slyon> waveform: have there already been some preliminary results from your sd-oomd testing?
15:05 <sil2100> ;)
15:06 <slyon> (other than what was posted on the mailinglist)
15:06 <waveform> slyon, not yet -- unfortunately my desktop has been bouncing between my "usual" desktop (on an SSD) and SD cards all week as part of the ff optimization work
15:06 <slyon> ok. I guess it would be best to update the LP bug report whenever you get some additional results. TIA
15:06 <enr0n> slyon: I have also been running with ManagedOOMSwap=auto on `-.slice`, and it has been a better experience so far.
15:07 <waveform> will do
15:07 <paride> bdmurray, actually server team meeting is in +25m from now, I confused it with cloud-init standup (too many of those!)
15:07 <paride> bdmurray, so I'm around
15:08 <jawn-smith> Okay, any other questions?
15:08 <jawn-smith> #topic Release incoming bugs
15:09 <jawn-smith> #link http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-kk-incoming-bug-tasks.html#foundations-bugs
15:09 <jawn-smith> Just one
15:09 <sil2100> ...shit, I did forget quite a lot from my status, so updating it now still
15:09 <jawn-smith> bug 1978487
15:09 <ubottu> Bug 1978487 in apport (Ubuntu) "attach_journal_errors is causing a ValueError crash" [Medium, New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1978487
15:09 <sil2100> ;)
15:09 <bdrung> Already fixed upstream, the upload to kinetic will follow shortly
15:10 <jawn-smith> Okay great. If work is being done on it then it deserves a card
15:10 <sil2100> \o/
15:10 <jawn-smith> bdrung: does it already have one?
15:10 <bdrung> no. not this apport bug.
15:11 <bdmurray> sil2100: I guess that's an advantage to discourse - the ability to continue editing!
15:11 <slyon> it's tagged fr-2483...
15:11 <jawn-smith> Indeed it is
15:11 <bdrung> ups
15:11 <jawn-smith> excellent, let's just remove the rls-kk tag then
15:12 <jawn-smith> I'll do that real quick
15:12 <jawn-smith> #link https://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/rls-mgr/rls-jj-incoming-bug-tasks.html#foundations-bugs
15:12 <jawn-smith> bug 1970402
15:12 <ubottu> Bug 1970402 in initramfs-tools (Ubuntu) "Initrd out of memory error after upgrade to 22.04" [High, Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1970402
15:13 <bdmurray> remove the tag and target it to kineitc
15:13 <bdmurray> which I'm doing
15:13 <jawn-smith> Thanks!
15:13 <jawn-smith> bug 1978125
15:13 <ubottu> Bug 1978125 in apt (Ubuntu) "apt ignoring pin/block/hold files in preferences.d for snapd" [Undecided, Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1978125
15:13 <jawn-smith> This was discussed last week, but we wanted to hear juliank's opinion on it
15:13 <jawn-smith> before carding it
15:13 <bdmurray> jawn-smith: that isn't snapd specific is it?
15:14 <juliank> ah yes I need to fix that too, I should touch that with the other thing
15:14 <sil2100> Let's card it then
15:14 <jawn-smith> bdmurray: that was my understanding, yes
15:14 <jawn-smith> so mclemenceau would you mind carding that one?
15:15 <mclemenceau> sure no problem
15:15 <jawn-smith> thanks!
15:15 <jawn-smith> rls-ii is empty
15:15 <jawn-smith> so is rls-ff
15:16 <slyon> I feel like we should also card #1970402
15:16 <jawn-smith> oh we had a miscommunication
15:16 <bdmurray> I agree
15:16 <jawn-smith> let's go back to discussing bug 1970402
15:16 <ubottu> Bug 1970402 in initramfs-tools (Ubuntu) "Initrd out of memory error after upgrade to 22.04" [High, Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1970402
15:17 <slyon> This feels relevant for 22.04.1 so I think we should card it
15:17 <bdmurray> Do we have an idea of how to recreate it?
15:17 <juliank> initrd out of memory is that a dup?
15:18 <juliank> Same as LP: #1842320
15:18 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1842320 in OEM Priority Project "Out of Memory on boot with 5.2.0 kernel" [Critical, In Progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1842320
15:18 <juliank> ?
15:19 <bdmurray> so come to find out it is carded but not targetted to Jammy
15:19 <jawn-smith> So shall we card it jammy and mark 1970402 as a duplicate?
15:20 <juliank> do that
15:20 <jawn-smith> err, I mean "target it to jammy"
15:20 <jawn-smith> Who is investigating it?
15:20 <jawn-smith> Sounds like someone on the OEM team
15:20 <jawn-smith> schopin: you mentioned another bug you wanted to discuss
15:20 <schopin> I also have LP: #1979639 for Jammy which was intended to show up on the report
15:20 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1979639 in nodejs (Ubuntu Kinetic) "openssl 3.0.3-7 needs port from sid to jammy" [Undecided, Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1979639
15:21 <slyon> I targeted it to Jammy and updated the labels on the initrd bug
15:21 <jawn-smith> slyon: thanks!
15:22 <schopin> so, that's a regression affecting any user of libssl1.1 on a Jammy system (due to recent changes to the default config file)
15:23 <schopin> IMHO should be carded and selected for dev, as it not only affects packages outside of the archive, but also nodejs due to our embedded libssl1.1 there.
15:24 <jawn-smith> So the work for this is done in kinetic
15:24 <jawn-smith> But needs an SRU for jammy
15:25 <jawn-smith> vorlon: opinions on fixing openssl vs fixing nodejs in jammy?
15:25 <vorlon> oh no
15:25 <vorlon> reading quickly
15:26 <schopin> note that Debian has patched this because I think they still have some libssl1.1 rdeps in unstable
15:27 <vorlon> one argument is that if we are ever going to have empty etc in Ubuntu Core, openssl should have sensible defaults that don't depend on contents of /etc/ssl/openssl.cnf
15:27 <vorlon> (though perhaps the openssl package is not in Core)
15:27 <vorlon> (it is)
15:28 <vorlon> so that's an argument for fixing this in libssl3
15:28 <schopin> I'm fairly sure libssl does not *depend* on the /etc config and can happily live without.
15:28 <vorlon> right; it's only the openssl package which ships it
15:28 <vorlon> of course the standard way of fixing that for empty-etc would be to ship the defaults under /usr and change the code to look there
15:29 <vorlon> which would solve the problem for libssl1.1 in jammy but is also not a particularly SRUable change
15:30 <vorlon> from reading the bug it's not clear to me what the bits are that are incompatible with libssl1.1, can that be laid out explicitly?
15:31 <vorlon> the Debian bug mentions 'providers'
15:31 <schopin> yeah, the notion of providers is new to 3.0
15:31 <vorlon> and the in-library defaults should be sane there I think?
15:31 <schopin> Yes they are the same as what's in the config file.
15:32 <vorlon> opinions about libraries that choke on unknown fields in an .ini style config file notwithstanding, it seems appropriate to comment them out by default in the config file in an SRU of the openssl package
15:33 <schopin> Alright, will do :)
15:34 <schopin> mclemenceau: could you card this?
15:34 <bdrung> but if you only patch openssl, then users can run into this bug when changing their openssl configuration
15:35 <vorlon> bdrung: so you're arguing to patch both nodejs's libssl1.1 and openssl?
15:35 <bdrung> yes, that would be the cleanest solution
15:35 <vorlon> I think patching openssl is the priority.  I wouldn't say no to an SRU for nodejs also
15:35 <schopin> they'll still get bit if they have another libssl1.1 hanging around anyway.
15:35 <vorlon> ^ exactly
15:35 <mclemenceau> thx schopin , done!
15:36 <jawn-smith> #topic Team proposed-migration report
15:36 <jawn-smith> #link https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/update_excuses_by_team.html#foundations-bugs
15:36 <jawn-smith> vorlon:
15:36 <vorlon> this should be quick and easy, a short list
15:36 <vorlon> ubuntu-meta is with the desktop team
15:37 <vorlon> python3-stdlib-extensions is not built on i386 because it's dep-wait on python3.11 which doko is presumably still working on since the new build failure is a symbols file mismatch which is what his last upload purported to fix
15:37 <xypron> o/ greetings from N├╝rnberg were I visited the Embedded World fair
15:37 <vorlon> vim is with jawn-smith
15:37 * vorlon waves to xypron 
15:37 <jawn-smith> Yes. I have it building, but autopkgtests still need work
15:37 <vorlon> binutils vs gcc-12 is an autopkgtest regression.  doko I assume you will follow this through also
15:37 <doko> yep, I have a work-around now. that's on me
15:37 <vorlon> and usb-creator is the in-progress MIR, with excuses bugs linked in the report
15:37 <doko> yes, analyzed, and fix pending
15:38 <vorlon> so that's everything for right now
15:38 <slyon> I can take care of ubs-creator, to sponsor things that are needed to get the MIR moving
15:38 <jawn-smith> Thanks everyone for keeping that list nice and short
15:38 <vorlon> no new tasks to assign, everybody go pick something off of https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/nbs.html to fix instead ;)
15:38 <doko> please have a look at the gcc-12 build regressions
15:38 <vorlon> ^ that too!
15:39 <slyon> https://people.canonical.com/~ginggs/ftbfs-report/test-rebuild-20220617-kinetic-kinetic.html
15:40 <jawn-smith> vorlon: do we want to hand out some of those packages in the FTBFS report?
15:40 <vorlon> #link https://people.canonical.com/~ginggs/ftbfs-report/test-rebuild-20220617-kinetic-kinetic.html#foundations-bugs-team
15:41 <vorlon> there's 10 packages here, so sure
15:42 <ginggs> i think those are all retrying right now
15:42 <vorlon> oh
15:42 <vorlon> ok then let's not do any assignments here
15:42 <doko> the gcc issues, for me
15:44 <vorlon> jawn-smith: back to you
15:44 <jawn-smith> #topic AOB
15:44 <jawn-smith> any holidays coming up?
15:45 <sil2100> Not for me o/
15:45 <enr0n> I am out tomorrow (swapped this past Monday's US holiday)
15:47 <bdmurray> Paride and I posted our status last week on Friday-ish but we'll switch to Thursday so the Foundations status can link to the Ubuntu QA one
15:51 <bdmurray> I think that's it jawn-smith
15:51 <jawn-smith> #endmeeting