15:06 <slangasek> #startmeeting
15:06 <meetingology> Meeting started Thu Oct  3 15:06:42 2013 UTC.  The chair is slangasek. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
15:06 <meetingology> 
15:06 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
15:08 <slangasek> [TOPIC] Lightning round
15:08 <slangasek> $ echo $(shuf -e barry doko stgraber jodh ev bdmurray slangasek cjwatson xnox stokachu)
15:08 <slangasek> stgraber xnox cjwatson doko barry jodh ev slangasek bdmurray stokachu
15:09 <slangasek> stgraber: you're first :)
15:10 <stgraber> oops, one sec
15:10 <stgraber> Blueprint-related work:
15:10 <stgraber> - Image based updates (BLUEPRINT: foundations-1305-image-based-updates)
15:10 <stgraber> - Updated the specification on the wiki
15:10 <stgraber> - Added phased-percentage support on the server side
15:10 <stgraber> - Extended test coverage (still need tests covering the file generators)
15:10 <stgraber> - Prioritized the work for the system-image clien in 13.10
15:10 <stgraber> - Implemented the boot time hooks for touch (somewhere in the landing queue)
15:10 <stgraber> - LXC
15:10 <stgraber> - Moved all the bugs from sourceforge to github (well, fixed most of them rather than move them)
15:10 <stgraber> - Code reviews
15:10 <stgraber> - Some discussions with Google on cgroup management
15:10 <stgraber> - Rewrote lxc-info to use the LXC API and show IP addresses by default.
15:10 <stgraber> - Updated all the API based tools to check the user has control access over the container instead of failing in mysterious ways.
15:10 <stgraber> 
15:10 <stgraber> Other work:
15:11 <stgraber> - Other
15:11 <stgraber> - Quite a lot of queue reviews
15:11 <stgraber> - Implemented a script to auto-accept unseeded packages into the archive
15:11 <stgraber> 
15:11 <stgraber> TODO (hopefully this week):
15:11 <stgraber> - Get to 100% code coverage in the system-image server side tests
15:11 <stgraber> - Write a slightly more user friendly tool to release an image from saucy-proposed to saucy
15:11 <stgraber> - Spend some more time debugging the filesystem unmount sequence, fixing anything that needs fixing
15:11 <stgraber> - LXC upstream work (some more bugs to move to github, website work, ...)
15:11 <stgraber> (DONE)
15:12 <xnox> ah.
15:12 <xnox> skip me please.
15:14 <slangasek> cjwatson: your turn then
15:14 <cjwatson> Launchpad:
15:14 <cjwatson> * Fixed resetting of non-virtual builders (bug 1232131).
15:14 <cjwatson> * Coordinated rollout of buildd slave fixes (bug 993642, bug 1227086).  Much cleanup of broken builders following upgrade.
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1232131 in Launchpad itself ""'BuilderVitals' object has no attribute 'failBuilder'" when trying to auto-reset builder" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1232131
15:14 <cjwatson> * Fixed recipe handling regression (bug 1234621) and helping to coordinate another rollout to virtual builders now.
15:14 <ubottu> bug 993642 in launchpad-buildd "Breaks if the build doesn't produce the expected changes file" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/993642
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1227086 in launchpad-buildd "Slaves on 32-bit architectures crash on >2GiB build logs" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1227086
15:14 <cjwatson> * Uploaded apt SRUs (bug 1234691, bug 1234705), to support upgrading Launchpad production to precise.
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1234621 in launchpad-buildd "lp-buildd crashes on recipe failures: too many values to unpack" [Critical,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1234621
15:14 <cjwatson> Archive:
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1234691 in apt (Ubuntu Precise) "apt-utils: Ignore APT::FTPArchive::Packages::SHA512 option" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1234691
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1234705 in apt (Ubuntu Raring) "apt-ftparchive writes SHA256 checksums in place of SHA512 in Sources" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1234705
15:14 <cjwatson> * Arranged for generation of http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/saucy_uninst.txt and started cleaning it up.  i386 uninstallables have gone from ~80 to ~30 this week.
15:14 <cjwatson> Click:
15:14 <cjwatson> * Fixed crash when unregistering a preinstalled package (bug 1232066), and a regression caused by that fix (bug 1233280).
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1232066 in click (Ubuntu) "click unregister on preinstalled app causes exception" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1232066
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1233280 in click (Ubuntu) "Permission error while removing preinstalled click before installing any other click" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1233280
15:14 <cjwatson> * Implemented fat package support.
15:14 <cjwatson> * Extended "click info" interface to allow printing the manifest for a single package (bug 1232118).
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1232118 in URL Dispatcher "Don't read manifest files directly" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1232118
15:14 <cjwatson> * Forced unpacked files to be owner-writeable (bug 1232128).
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1232128 in click (Ubuntu) "click package cannot be installed on desktop" [Medium,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1232128
15:14 <cjwatson> Installer:
15:14 <cjwatson> * Fixed partition recipe size calculation when partitions are reused (bug 1197766).
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1197766 in partman-auto (Ubuntu Precise) "Different partition layout after recovery with keep home partition" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1197766
15:14 <cjwatson> * More work on putting the pieces together for bug 1065281 in precise.
15:14 <ubottu> bug 1065281 in OEM Priority Project quantal "Installer crashed when trying to partition 4k/4k sector hard disks" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1065281
15:14 <cjwatson> * Improved support for various mount options (bug 978032).
15:14 <ubottu> bug 978032 in partman-ext3 (Ubuntu Precise) "partitioning step doesn't have "discard" as a selectable mount option" [Wishlist,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/978032
15:14 <cjwatson> Touch:
15:14 <cjwatson> * Rearranged build-initrd.sh in initramfs-tools-ubuntu-touch to stop doing documented-unreliable things with fakeroot.
15:15 <cjwatson> To do:
15:15 <cjwatson> * Review Brian's chroot management branch.
15:15 <cjwatson> * Hunt through GRUB code to try to chase down bug 1229458.
15:15 <ubottu> bug 1229458 in grub2 (Ubuntu) "grubnetx64.efi tftp client does not work over ipv6" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1229458
15:15 <cjwatson> * Continue chasing down archive inconsistencies.
15:15 <cjwatson> ..
15:15 <slangasek> doko: your turn?
15:19 <xnox> * worked on emulator:
15:19 <xnox> - it boots into TTY now
15:19 <xnox> - published a prebuild copy at http://people.canonical.com/~xnox/emulator.tar.xz
15:19 <xnox> - build fully integrated into phablet branches, one simply does a build for cm_goldfish-eng device.
15:19 <xnox> - NEXT: fix & make android LXC container boot and correctly initialise
15:19 <xnox> * patch piloting today, mostly trying to get interesting things for saucy
15:19 <xnox> * upstart reviews, etc.
15:19 <xnox> ..
15:21 <barry> system-image: lp: #1196991, lp: #1233094, lp: #1215943, lp: #1221844, lp: #1233379, lp: #1231628, lp: #1229807, lp: #1204618, lp: #1215946, lp: #1229710, lp: #1234703.  s-i 1.6, 1.7, 1.8
15:21 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1196991 in Ubuntu system image "Support the new download dbus service" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1196991
15:21 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1233094 in system-image (Ubuntu) "Upgrade fail" [Undecided,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1233094
15:21 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1215943 in Ubuntu system image "should have a consistent "last upgrade date"" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1215943
15:21 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1221844 in Ubuntu system image "Support channel aliases tracking" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1221844
15:21 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1233379 in Ubuntu system image "Reset reactor timeout back to 10m on each non-finishing signal" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1233379
15:21 <barry> done
15:22 <jodh> * upstart:
15:22 <jodh> - Fixed bug 1227212 and bug 1089159 (uploaded as 1.10-0ubuntu3).
15:22 <jodh> - Investigated ssh.override issue on Touch.
15:22 <jodh> - Investigated upstart-local-bridge/upstart-property-watcher issue For
15:22 <ubottu> bug 1227212 in upstart (Ubuntu) "Session logout takes too long" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1227212
15:22 <jodh> sergiusens. Identified a problem with an lxc pre-start but seems
15:22 <ubottu> bug 1089159 in upstart (Ubuntu) "ADT test-suite failure" [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1089159
15:22 <jodh> there is more work to do there.
15:22 <jodh> * TODO:
15:22 <jodh> - Add extra debug to upstart-local-bridge.
15:22 <jodh> - work on overcoming ptrace limitations issue.
15:22 <xnox> lp: #1231628, lp: #1229807, lp: #1204618, lp: #1215946, lp: #1229710
15:22 <jodh> 𐤒
15:22 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1231628 in Ubuntu system image "Support for phased updates" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1231628
15:22 <xnox> lp: #1234703
15:22 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1229807 in Ubuntu system image "auto_download setting not set to '1' by default" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1229807
15:22 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1204618 in Ubuntu system image "Plumb progress through DBus signals" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1204618
15:22 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1215946 in Ubuntu system image "_NoUpdate sends buggy UpdateFailed" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1215946
15:22 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1229710 in Ubuntu system image "Add autopkgtests" [Medium,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1229710
15:22 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1234703 in ubuntu-system-settings (Ubuntu) "Checking for new updates puts the service out of order" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1234703
15:23 <ev> Short week. Was on holiday in ‘merica until Monday.
15:23 <ev> Lots of time spent getting caught up after three weeks away.
15:23 <ev> Mostly still helping Alex bootstrap the CI team.
15:23 <ev> Got up to speed on the Cassandra failures. We had a massive Ceph outage which knocked over Cassandra, which obviously knocked over Daisy. Reports resend every two hours, so I don’t believe we missed out on anything, but I’m still waiting on access to the production database to confirm these sorts of things:
15:23 <ev> https://rt.admin.canonical.com//Ticket/Display.html?id=63860
15:23 <ev> We are *way* behind on the existing retracer architectures and we still don’t have an armhf retracer for Touch. There appears to have been some work done on this while I was away, but it looks like they dropped it again. I tried following up in #webops, but we are without a vanguard. I’ll touch base with James or Tom later.
15:23 <ev> https://rt.admin.canonical.com//Ticket/Display.html?id=58019
15:23 <ev> In anticipation of webops requesting it, I’m migrating the error tracker deployment over to juju-deployer.
15:23 <ev> TODO:
15:23 <ev> I need to find a replacement for gnetworkmonitor, as it waking up frequently on busy networks continues to piss people off:
15:23 <ev> https://bugs.launchpad.net/whoopsie/+bug/991481
15:23 <ev> I now have enough details from Acunu to finish implementing the improvements to the average errors per calendar day calculation.
15:23 <ev> (done)
15:23 <ubottu> Ubuntu bug 991481 in Whoopsie "Constant dns traffic for daisy.ubuntu.com" [High,Confirmed]
15:24 <ev> https://wiki.canonical.com/IncidentReports/2013-09-30-Ceph-Rebalance-Outage is the Ceph outage
15:25 <stgraber> ev: bah, it's only causing around 20% of the requests to my DNS servers ;)
15:25 <ev> hah
15:25 <stgraber> 1 request every 15s per machine on the network and I apparently have a lot of those ;)
15:25 <cjwatson> stgraber: And your own substation?
15:26 <xnox> ev: anti-social =)
15:26 <slangasek> ev: retracers> thanks - I think we need to get this sorted out ASAP, it's alarming that we have no errors data at all about the phone at this stage.
15:26 <ev> slangasek: I couldn't agree more. Any help leaning on them would be greatly appreciated
15:27 * slangasek nods
15:27 <xnox> ev: what events do you actually want from gnetworkmonitor? you can have whoopsie e.g. start on net-device-up, then each time a connection is established, you can retry uploading reports.
15:27 <stgraber> cjwatson: ;) I do occasionaly run LXC load testing with around a thousand container on the same machine, all running whoppsie, then those DNS queries are pretty much the only thing I see going through the network ;)
15:27 <ev> Or telling the other Ubuntu Engineering teams to stop taking up all of webops' time
15:27 <slangasek> ev: I would've yelled at last week's sync call about this had I realize it still hadn't moved :/
15:27 <cjwatson> ev: *cough*
15:28 <ev> xnox: from memory, I'm using gnetworkmonitor to know when we're really connected
15:28 <ev> in my testing CONNECTED_ALL or whatever the NetworkManager state was didn't convey that
15:28 <cjwatson> ev: Hopefully I've finished getting launchpad-buildd upgraded on things for, oh, at least a few weks
15:28 <cjwatson> *weeks
15:28 <cjwatson> (dear GOD is that process painfully manual)
15:28 <slangasek> * helped with getting final beta out last week
15:28 <slangasek> * discussions about how to do freeze management for phone packages so that we're not putting up additional roadblocks to phone development for 13.10
15:28 <slangasek> * worked with Barry on testing system-image / ubuntu-download-manager so this could land in the phone images \o/
15:28 <slangasek> * fighting with my network, which has decided to stop passing dhcp requests reliably following a power outage over the weekend
15:28 <slangasek> * picked at the edges of the proposed-migration queue (insighttoolkit4)
15:28 <slangasek> * followed through on SRUs for shim update in 12.04.4
15:28 <slangasek> * got /etc/adjtime out of our live images, since it's not used in Ubuntu and just causes confusion
15:28 <slangasek> (done)
15:29 <bdmurray> bug triage of update-manager, ubuntu-release-upgrader, ubiquity bugs
15:29 <bdmurray> recreated update-manager bug 1202754
15:29 <bdmurray> reviewed and merged apt-check (update-notifier) merge proposal speeding it up
15:29 <ubottu> bug 1202754 in update-manager (Ubuntu Saucy) "update-manager crashed with SystemExit in exit(): 0" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1202754
15:29 <bdmurray> worked on click chroot code
15:29 <xnox> ev: should we refactor start.ubuntu.com/network-connectivity check from ubiquity?! =) yeah, supporting states in upstart would help here, as upon network check we could run a quick check against start.ubuntu.com and emit the state of "connected"
15:29 <bdmurray> worked on ubuntu-release-upgrader not needing gksu
15:29 <bdmurray> uploaded procps bug fix for bug 1150413
15:29 <xnox> for those jobs that care about htat.
15:29 <ubottu> bug 1150413 in procps (Ubuntu Raring) "Cannot allocate memory if process owned by user with large number of groups" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1150413
15:29 <bdmurray> tested kernels for bug 1218004
15:29 <ubottu> bug 1218004 in linux (Ubuntu Saucy) "Apple Wireless Trackpad causes kernel oops" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1218004
15:29 <bdmurray> done
15:29 <stokachu> bug 1211876 needs upload, bug 995719 needs sru approval (done)
15:29 <ubottu> bug 1211876 in keepalived (Ubuntu Raring) "keepalived reload buggy due to improper ipv4 address comparison" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1211876
15:30 <ubottu> bug 995719 in puppet (Ubuntu Precise) "process_name.rb removed in 2.7.11 but still provided by puppet-common" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/995719
15:30 <ev> xnox: yes - networkmanager has support for something like this, but the tin foil hat crowd nixed it the last time matthieu brought it up
15:30 <ev> if memory serves
15:30 <slangasek> xnox: we could reimplement everything in Qt and use its network checking apis, I hear those work a treat
15:30 <slangasek> (by which I mean, bug #1233435)
15:30 <ev> xnox: what I'd really like is an API that I could register an address with. "Let me know when we're connected and you get this response from this URL"
15:30 <stokachu> note: 1211876 is a high visibility bug going to mark it as high
15:30 <ubottu> bug 1233435 in ubuntu-download-manager "u-d-m downloads stall if the network configuration changes" [Critical,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1233435
15:31 <ev> cjwatson: *belated fist shaking*
15:33 <slangasek> anyone want to sponsor stokachu's SRU for bug #1211876?
15:33 <ubottu> bug 1211876 in keepalived (Ubuntu Raring) "keepalived reload buggy due to improper ipv4 address comparison" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1211876
15:33 <slangasek> stgraber, maybe you could have a look?
15:34 <stokachu> bdmurray: would you mind looking over bug 995719 for approval?
15:34 <ubottu> bug 995719 in puppet (Ubuntu Precise) "process_name.rb removed in 2.7.11 but still provided by puppet-common" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/995719
15:34 <bdmurray> stokachu: I'll have a look today
15:34 <stokachu> bdmurray: thanks man
15:35 <slangasek> stokachu: bug #995719, you say there should be no regression.  So it's not possible that something will be relying on this behavior?
15:35 <ubottu> bug 995719 in puppet (Ubuntu Precise) "process_name.rb removed in 2.7.11 but still provided by puppet-common" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/995719
15:36 <stokachu> slangasek: nothing should be calling it directly, think of it more like a background job keeping up the process names
15:36 <stgraber> slangasek: yep, can do
15:36 <slangasek> stokachu: so nothing can be relying on those process name changes?
15:36 <stokachu> slangasek: nothing in puppet does, no
15:37 <slangasek> well, but what about things outside of puppet?
15:37 <slangasek> these are the questions we ask for SRUs :)
15:37 <stokachu> its not an external api so nothing would be calling it directly
15:38 <slangasek> but something external to puppet could be relying on the process name updates
15:38 <stokachu> everyone ive interacted with either manually deletes this or has a puppet config that ensures that file doesn't exist
15:38 <stokachu> even IS does it
15:38 <stgraber> sto they all look good to me, will upload those 3 in a minute
15:39 <stgraber> stokachu: ^
15:39 <stokachu> stgraber: thanks man
15:39 <slangasek> stokachu: that doesn't mean that /everyone/ does it, just the people who are smart enough to be in your friends list :)  we have to consider the SRU implications for those not following best practices, too
15:39 <stokachu> slangasek: yea im trying to think of what kind of use case would do this
15:40 <stokachu> slangasek: to help me pinpoint where there might be a problem
15:40 <slangasek> anyway, we can follow up on that out of band
15:40 <stokachu> do we have any puppet experts here?
15:40 <stokachu> ok
15:40 <slangasek> I'd try the server team for puppet expertise
15:41 <stokachu> ok ill ask around and see
15:41 <slangasek> [TOPIC] AOB
15:41 <slangasek> any other topics?
15:41 <stgraber> stokachu: all uploaded
15:42 <stokachu> stgraber: thanks again
15:43 <stokachu> stgraber: want me to unassign sponsors now?
15:43 <slangasek> #endmeeting