15:03 <slangasek> #startmeeting
15:03 <meetingology> Meeting started Thu Sep 26 15:03:28 2013 UTC.  The chair is slangasek. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
15:03 <meetingology> 
15:03 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
15:03 <slangasek> [TOPIC] lightning round
15:03 <slangasek> $ echo $(shuf -e barry doko stgraber jodh ev bdmurray slangasek cjwatson xnox stokachu)
15:04 <slangasek> ev stokachu doko barry cjwatson jodh stgraber xnox bdmurray slangasek
15:04 <slangasek> and ev is on vacation this week
15:04 <slangasek> stokachu: hi there :)
15:04 <stokachu> hey!
15:04 <doko> that means, short meeting =)
15:04 <stokachu> bug 1207123 - verification done, bug 995719 - needs upload, done.
15:05 <ubottu> bug 1207123 in gnutls26 (Ubuntu Quantal) "Key usage violation in certificate has been detected" [Medium,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1207123
15:05 <ubottu> bug 995719 in puppet (Ubuntu Precise) "process_name.rb removed in 2.7.11 but still provided by puppet-common" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/995719
15:07 <doko> stokachu, are you finished?
15:08 <slangasek> anyone here speak ruby who could verify that puppet SRU and sponsor it? :)
15:09 <stokachu> doko: yea sorry i had done. at the end
15:10 <doko> meh, yes, I can look at that one
15:10 <stokachu> doko <3 ruby? :P
15:11 <doko> - fixed native gcc-4.7 bootstrap on aarch64
15:11 <doko> - one last gcc-4.8 update for saucy
15:11 <doko> - investigated an interaction of ld 2.24 and --as-needed or static linking
15:11 <doko> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-09/msg00196.html
15:11 <doko> - MIR processing
15:11 <doko> - fixing build failures for packages in main, didn't count ...
15:11 <ubottu> gcc.gnu.org bug 2013 in c++ "g++ 2.96: typedefs + namespaces + inheritance == problem" [Normal,Resolved: fixed]
15:11 <doko> - aarch64 porting meeting
15:11 <doko> - fix pythonX.Y autopkg test failures
15:11 <doko> ubottu, you are wrong
15:11 <ubottu> doko: I am only a bot, please don't think I'm intelligent :)
15:11 <doko> (end)
15:11 <barry> lp: #1196991
15:11 <ubottu> Launchpad bug 1196991 in Ubuntu system image "Support the new download dbus service" [Critical,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1196991
15:11 <barry> done
15:11 <barry> ;)
15:12 <stgraber> ;)
15:12 <cjwatson> Click:
15:12 <cjwatson> * Arranged to run system hooks when removing packages (bug 1227681).
15:12 <cjwatson> * Sped up system and session startup when many packages are installed (bug 1227604).
15:12 <ubottu> bug 1227681 in click (Ubuntu) "dangling symlinks in /var/lib/apparmor/clicks" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1227681
15:12 <cjwatson> * Filtered out VCS metadata (bug 1223640).
15:12 <ubottu> bug 1227604 in lxc-android-config (Ubuntu) "Boot speed is significantly affected by installing apps" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1227604
15:12 <cjwatson> * PackageKit API tidy-up and enhancements to show removability.
15:12 <ubottu> bug 1223640 in click (Ubuntu) "Version control meta directories should be filtered out" [Medium,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1223640
15:12 <cjwatson> * Implemented unregistration of preinstalled packages.
15:12 <cjwatson> OEM bugs:
15:12 <cjwatson> * Cleaned up most of the rest of bug 1065281.  Now reported to work at least in saucy.
15:12 <ubottu> bug 1065281 in OEM Priority Project quantal "Installer crashed when trying to partition 4k/4k sector hard disks" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1065281
15:12 <cjwatson> Launchpad:
15:12 <cjwatson> * Worked on some build slave crashes / bad failure modes (bug 993642, bug 1227086 - the latter exposed by the test rebuild).
15:12 <ubottu> bug 993642 in launchpad-buildd "Breaks if the build doesn't produce the expected changes file" [Critical,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/993642
15:12 <ubottu> bug 1227086 in launchpad-buildd "Slaves on 32-bit architectures crash on >2GiB build logs" [Critical,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1227086
15:12 <cjwatson> Miscellaneous:
15:12 <cjwatson> * Backported a fix for bug 1193136, an irritation when trying to use w3m/precise with Launchpad.
15:12 <ubottu> bug 1193136 in Canonical SSO provider "launchpad login service doesn't render in w3m (<= precise)" [Low,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1193136
15:12 <cjwatson> * Analysed Edubuntu livefs build failure; turned out to be a subtle bug in livecd-rootfs (as well as an arguable bug in indicator-sound packaging).
15:12 <cjwatson> * Worked with IS to migrate ubuntu-archive jobs from lillypilly to new machine (snakefruit).  Much faster, yay.
15:12 <cjwatson> * Fixed readthedocs.org to handle bzr branches with tags again, for click.readthedocs.org.
15:12 <cjwatson> * Some NBS tidy-up.
15:12 <cjwatson> * Organised travel to client sprint.
15:12 <cjwatson> ..
15:13 <jodh> * Upstart:
15:13 <jodh> *** Working on bug 1227212
15:13 <jodh> ***** Improved session shutdown time dramatically.
15:13 <jodh> ***** Currently updating tests and checking all code paths.
15:13 <jodh> *** Presented on Upstart at LinuxCon North America and Linux Plumbers last week.
15:13 <ubottu> bug 1227212 in upstart "Session logout takes too long" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1227212
15:13 <jodh> Slides and LaTeX source:
15:13 <jodh> http://people.canonical.com/~jhunt/presentations/LPC13/
15:13 <jodh> * Misc:
15:13 <jodh> *** Travelling Monday (and day off Tuesday to recover :)
15:13 <jodh>15:13 <jodh> 
15:14 <stgraber> Blueprint-related work:
15:14 <stgraber> - Image based updates (BLUEPRINT: foundations-1305-image-based-updates)
15:14 <stgraber> - Landed the rewritten server code, everything appears to work as expected
15:14 <stgraber> - Discussed the changes required to run private system-image servers (also applies to ports)
15:14 <stgraber> - Reworked the list of channels and channel aliases
15:14 <stgraber> - Updated the specification on the wiki
15:14 <stgraber> - LXC
15:14 <stgraber> - Serge and I are the new maintainers
15:14 <stgraber> - Busy moving everything from sourceforge to github, working on a new website, ...
15:14 <stgraber> - Code reviews
15:14 <stgraber> - Working on implementing the container autostart specification
15:14 <stgraber> - Proposed some cross-distro templates improvement for 1.0
15:14 <stgraber> 
15:14 <stgraber> Other work:
15:14 <stgraber> - Linux Plumbers 2013
15:14 <stgraber> - Organized the Containers mini-summit (waiting for video recording to be released)
15:14 <stgraber> - Attended the Secure Boot mini-summit
15:14 <stgraber> - Quite a lot of interesting hallway (and bar) discussions
15:14 <stgraber> - Other
15:14 <stgraber> - Various additions to writable-paths in Ubuntu Touch
15:14 <stgraber> - Debugged a few issues related to upstart on current touch images
15:14 <stgraber> - Tried to figure out what's wrong with the shutdown sequence that'd cause /userdata to remain writable, leading to dataloss
15:15 <stgraber> - Wrote a draft spec for boot time hooks for touch
15:15 <stgraber> 
15:15 <stgraber> TODO (hopefully this week):
15:15 <stgraber> - Update wiki documentation for system-image
15:15 <stgraber> - Try to prioritize the system-image client work so we have all the bits we really need in 13.10
15:15 <stgraber> - Write a slightly more user friendly tool to release an image from saucy-proposed to saucy
15:15 <stgraber> - Spend some more time debugging the filesystem unmount sequence, fixing anything that needs fixing
15:15 <stgraber> - LXC upstream work (some more bugs to move to github, website work, ...)
15:15 <stgraber> (DONE)
15:15 <xnox> * added logind/pam session support to ubiquity, closing off a few bugs
15:15 <xnox> for beta images
15:15 <xnox> * proposed ubuntu-touch & ubuntu-sdk seed restructure
15:15 <xnox> * working on emulator, now mounting some filesystems
15:15 <xnox> (mknod to the rescue, to get me mtdblock device nodes)
15:15 <xnox> * gave upstart talks with james at plumbers/linuxcon, they went well
15:15 <xnox> (a few comments / bug reports gathered from discussions there)
15:15 <xnox> done.
15:16 <bdmurray> bug triage of iso-testing bug reports
15:16 <bdmurray> ubuntu-release-upgrader cruft cleanup
15:16 <bdmurray> research into update-notifier crash notification for things that have already been reported (bug 1229856)
15:16 <ubottu> bug 1229856 in update-notifier (Ubuntu) "kernel oops results in apport-gtk launching for every .crash file" [Medium,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1229856
15:16 <bdmurray> research into update-manager bug 1223815, bug 1223321
15:16 <ubottu> bug 1223815 in update-manager (Ubuntu) "At session start it always alert me: "system updated"" [Undecided,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1223815
15:16 <ubottu> bug 1223321 in update-notifier (Ubuntu) "update-notifier notifies of phased-updates for which you may not be eligible" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1223321
15:16 <bdmurray> fixed ubuntu-release-uprader bug 1210643
15:16 <ubottu> bug 1210643 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu Saucy) "UnsupportedDialog not displayed for an unsupported release" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1210643
15:16 <bdmurray> uploaded aptitude with fix for bug 923876
15:16 <ubottu> bug 923876 in aptitude (Ubuntu Quantal) "FR: Limit and clean-up kernel images and headers automatically in LTS" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/923876
15:16 <bdmurray> reported ubuntu-release-upgrader bug 1225016 (supported meta packages)
15:16 <bdmurray> reported apport bug 1226776 regarding linux package hook uname check
15:16 <bdmurray> investigation into bug 917339 and lvremove bug
15:16 <bdmurray> investigation into bug 1024590
15:16 <ubottu> bug 1225016 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "code disagrees about supported metapackages" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1225016
15:16 <bdmurray> SRU verification of bug 923876
15:16 <ubottu> bug 1226776 in apport (Ubuntu) "linux package hook checks uname for KernelOops" [Undecided,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1226776
15:16 <ubottu> bug 917339 in schroot (Ubuntu) "10mount: umount: /<<CHROOT>>/dev: device is busy" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/917339
15:16 <ubottu> bug 1024590 in update-manager (Ubuntu Saucy) "update-manager crashed with AttributeError in _on_download_changed(): 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_value'" [Medium,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1024590
15:16 <bdmurray> testing kernels for bug 1218004
15:16 <ubottu> bug 1218004 in linux (Ubuntu Saucy) "Apple Wireless Trackpad causes kernel oops" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1218004
15:16 <bdmurray> done
15:19 <slangasek> ah, we're to me already :)
15:19 <slangasek> * LinuxCon, Linux Plumbers Conference, UEFI Plugfest
15:19 <slangasek> * kudos to jodh and xnox for their presentations at the conference; they led to a number of good discussions about some easy wins that would help folks trying to use upstart in the wild
15:19 <slangasek> * lots of work on UEFI/SecureBoot: fixes to shim netboot support (v4 and v6), merged upstream and landed in saucy, RT filed to get this submitted to SysDev and signed by MS
15:19 <slangasek> * learned that edk2's FAT driver is non-free, overlooked a license addendum when preparing the package the first time around; now moved to non-free in Debian and mulitverse in Ubuntu, so qemu doesn't get to depend on it
15:19 <slangasek> * poking at the system-image test suite to try to work around the behavior of ubuntu-download-manager, apparently it's really hard to run a test suite when your test http server takes 2 minutes to timeout open connections
15:19 <slangasek> * today: beta release notes
15:19 <slangasek> (done)
15:19 <slangasek> any questions?
15:20 <slangasek> [TOPIC] Final Beta
15:20 <slangasek> so the release notes are always the bit that gets done last
15:21 <barry> the python 3.3 release note looks fine
15:21 <slangasek> those of you who still have time left in your day today, please take a little of that time to help get the ISO testing bugs from http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/303/builds documented in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SaucySalamander/ReleaseNotes
15:22 <slangasek> and if there are cool things that we've added in saucy that you think should also be there, please add them as well!
15:23 <doko> I don't think toolchain bits are cool enough
15:23 <slangasek> doko: you want to upload gcc 4.8 to make it cooler? :)
15:23 <doko> slangasek, xnox wants me to fix one more thing ...
15:23 <slangasek> [TOPIC] AOB
15:24 <slangasek> anything else here?
15:24 <slangasek> did anyone think of a topic they'd like to present on today?
15:24 <xnox> doko++ =)
15:24 <barry> xnox: that's actually ++doko
15:25 <doko> just keep fixing build failures ...
15:25 <doko> http://people.ubuntuwire.org/~wgrant/rebuild-ftbfs-test/test-rebuild-20130917-saucy.html
15:25 <doko> http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/ftbfs/
15:26 * slangasek nods
15:26 <cjwatson> clearing NBS and as much of proposed-migration as can be done would help too
15:26 <cjwatson> one thing I forgot to mention: I changed proposed-migration so that the excuses are sorted by age (well, at one-day granularity, and alphabetically within that)
15:27 <cjwatson> so when you're trying to clear out long-standing entries, you can more easily ignore noise from things uploaded recently
15:27 <cjwatson> I find things sort of in the middle are usually the most fertile ground
15:27 <slangasek> oh, nice!
15:29 <slangasek> #endmeeting