17:05 <dholbach> #startmeeting
17:05 <meetingology> Meeting started Thu Aug 15 17:05:02 2013 UTC.  The chair is dholbach. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
17:05 <meetingology> 
17:05 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
17:05 <YokoZar> Excellent :)
17:05 <dholbach> #chair dholbach pleia2 YokoZar beuno czajkowski
17:05 <meetingology> Current chairs: YokoZar beuno czajkowski dholbach pleia2
17:05 <dholbach> #topic Meeting the Doc team
17:06 <dholbach> hey dsmythies - thanks a lot for turning up
17:06 <dholbach> how are you doing?
17:06 <dsmythies> fine. Things are proceeding, but slowly.
17:07 <pleia2> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/GettingStarted was recently rewritten, so that's a start
17:07 <dholbach> the Docs team underwent sort of a transition recently - how are things looking? :)
17:07 <pleia2> unfortunately the team still lacks solid leadership, so decisions mill around a bit
17:07 <dholbach> which topics are currently under discussion?
17:08 <YokoZar> The CC is still a "member" of the docs team, isn't it?
17:08 <pleia2> YokoZar: yeah
17:08 <pleia2> we own it
17:08 <dsmythies> Yes, CC owns it, but we have a transition plan
17:09 <dsmythies> where step 1 was adding new admins
17:09 <pleia2> dsmythies: a few have been added, do you see a clear person to take over as owner?
17:10 <dsmythies> No, I don't.
17:10 <pleia2> that's how I feel too
17:10 <YokoZar> I believe pleia2 has been most on top of the transition, and I do thank her :)
17:10 <dholbach> are there lots of important subjects which mill around?
17:10 <pleia2> bkerensa got off to a good start, but he seems pretty over-committed right now
17:11 <dsmythies> we seem a bit stalled on the new "getting started" page.
17:11 <pleia2> yeah, it did get moved over but there are still some outstanding comments about it
17:11 <dsmythies> for my part of it, I have been busy with smething else.
17:12 <bkerensa> pleia2: very accurate
17:12 <dsmythies> For serverguide, we have good plans going forward, which Peter M has put into a blueprint.
17:12 <bkerensa> pleia2:  I think things will slow down shortly on my other commitments though and allow more time for docs
17:12 <pleia2> so I think the main problem is that even the new key people involved are very busy :)
17:12 <dholbach> would it help to ask past committers to lp:ubuntu-docs for a review of the getting started page?
17:12 <pleia2> dsmythies: server guide is really on top of things, great job with that :)
17:13 <bkerensa> pleia2: I think a big piece has been the ability to find people to delegate to slowed down
17:13 <pleia2> dholbach: we've bugged them to their breaking point I think, our next step is asking *new* contributors if they can effectively follow it
17:13 <bkerensa> pleia2: there was a burst of enthusiasm and then when it came to getting stuff reviewed it slowed down a bit
17:13 <dholbach> pleia2, ok... good thinking :)
17:13 <pleia2> and have a team meeting
17:14 <bkerensa> yes
17:14 <pleia2> so I'd say in all dsmythies was right on with "proceeding, but slowly.
17:15 <pleia2> thanks bkerensa
17:15 <bkerensa> Ideally once we get the getting started complete I think the tasks we have left are really quite easy for those involved to address
17:15 <bkerensa> docs is mostly maintenance
17:15 <bkerensa> maintenance + release
17:15 <dholbach> what would next steps be once the getting started page looks good and you've had a team meeting?
17:15 <pleia2> that's what we should figure out at the team meeting ;)
17:16 <dholbach> ok :)
17:16 <pleia2> the docs need to be updated for 13.10, so probably launching that effort formally
17:16 <bkerensa> dholbach: so then I would want to improve our tool sets and add a doc to the repo that shows how to do release since I am the only one who knows how
17:16 <bkerensa> :s
17:16 <bkerensa> dholbach: nobody every release documented the process so we had to ask a lot of people
17:16 <dholbach> that sounds like a good idea :)
17:16 <bkerensa> ever*
17:16 <pleia2> step 3: download bkerensa's brain
17:16 <bkerensa> also we need to fix the screenshots script
17:17 <bkerensa> we cannot update screenshots in doc until we have that fixed :/
17:17 <pleia2> yeah, that would be good
17:17 <bkerensa> Perhaps we could do a call for help on that
17:17 <pleia2> yep
17:18 <bkerensa> So I think the key things are 1. ) Keep momentum 2.) finish what we set out to do this cycle 3.) Bring in new contributors to continue momentum each cycle
17:19 <dsmythies> Actually, serverguide is quite behind, (maybe 15% of what needs to be done got done last cycle) it is just that it seems to be doing better than the desktop guide.
17:20 <dsmythies> The transition from master docs to help.ubuntu.com needs some attention also. I hope to work on it some this cycle, and have alreayd done some.
17:20 <dholbach> it's good to hear that you seem to have a good idea what's coming up next
17:22 <dholbach> is there anything the CC could do to help?
17:23 <dsmythies> I don't think so. Benjamin, what do you think?
17:23 <dholbach> it's fantastic that you all plunged in and helped getting the team back on track
17:25 <dsmythies> The gap created by Mat East and Jermey stepping back is enormous. I don't think any of us realized how much those guys did. However, they tended not to write down what they were doing, from the "committer" level.
17:26 * pleia2 nods
17:26 <pleia2> I think bkerensa was able to get most of what we needed via discussion with them on specific procedures though
17:26 <dholbach> yeah, I can see how that happens :/
17:26 <bkerensa> so
17:26 <pleia2> documenting is boring :)
17:26 <bkerensa> I do not think the CC can help anymore
17:26 <dholbach> haha
17:27 <bkerensa> ultimately the CC should feel free to hold the teams hand as long as you all think its neccesary
17:27 <bkerensa> but I do not think any benefit will come from that
17:27 <bkerensa> I think pleia2 has been very helpful in encouraging the transition
17:27 <pleia2> bkerensa: do you see a clear leader to pass along team ownership to?
17:27 <bkerensa> Not currently no
17:28 <pleia2> currently that's all the CC is really doing (I'm doing this partially on my own too, less CC)
17:28 <bkerensa> yeah
17:28 <bkerensa> I do not want to see us rush into naming a new lead
17:28 <dholbach> that makes perfect sense
17:28 <pleia2> ok, so for now CC will remain owner
17:28 <bkerensa> I think it would be good to find someone when one of us feel were up to it and have demonstrated it
17:28 * pleia2 nods
17:29 <dholbach> cool
17:29 <dholbach> thanks a bunch to all of you!
17:29 <bkerensa> thank you all
17:29 <dholbach> I don't have any more questions - anyone else from the CC?
17:29 <pleia2> thanks everyone
17:29 <dsmythies> More on the serverguide side of it, we are tryiing to write everything down, such that is we disappear what to do is clearly documented.
17:30 <dholbach> all right... seems like not
17:30 <dholbach> keep up the good work! :)
17:31 <dholbach> #topic Any other business?
17:31 <dholbach> Does anyone have any other topics to discuss?
17:31 <dsmythies> I just want to mention something...
17:32 <dholbach> dsmythies, sure
17:33 <dsmythies> we are hoping to post all langusges of serverguide to help.ubuntu.com for 13.10. This would then be the same as the desktop guide. Currently only english serverguide is posted. However, there are issues with some languages, that might take longer than 13.10 to sort out.
17:34 <dholbach> dsmythies, are the problems well-understood?
17:36 <dsmythies> No, at least not by me. There are bugs reports. However, my thinking was to get it wokring for all langusges first, and then proceed to fix the ones that do not convert properly.
17:36 <dholbach> ok, that's good to know - if the bugs are at least filed
17:36 <dholbach> maybe it'd help to ask for help getting them fixed in a blog entry or something?
17:37 <dsmythies> ... all in good time. Myself, I'm not there yet. I only did enough work to realize it was going to be difficult to solve.
17:38 <dholbach> ok :/
17:39 <dholbach> anything else from the docs team?
17:39 <dholbach> anyone got any other business to discuss?
17:39 <dsmythies> No.
17:40 <dholbach> thanks again! :)
17:40 <dholbach> all right then... pleia2: anything else from you?
17:42 <dholbach> oook, in that case ... :)
17:42 <dholbach> have a great rest of your day everyone
17:42 <pleia2> :)
17:42 <dholbach> #endmeeting