11:59 <cyphermox> #startmeeting 1200 UTC Ubuntu Membership Board
11:59 <meetingology> Meeting started Wed Jun 19 11:59:55 2013 UTC.  The chair is cyphermox. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
11:59 <meetingology> 
11:59 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
12:00 <cyphermox> Hello and welcome to the Ubuntu Membership Review Board for the 1200 UTC meeting for June 19, 2013.
12:00 <cyphermox> The wiki page for the Review Board is available here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/Boards
12:00 <cyphermox> We will attempt to get through all of the applicants that have added themselves to that list before today's meeting. If we are unable to make it through the entire list due to time constraints, then at the next meeting we will pick up where we left off.
12:00 <cyphermox> The format for the meeting is as follows: We will go through the list of applicants one by one, by date of application (FIFO).
12:00 <cyphermox> Each applicant should introduce themselves (1-5 sentences) and provide links to their Ubuntu Wiki page. After the introduction the members of the Membership Review Board will review the pages and, if needed, ask the applicant further questions.
12:00 <cyphermox> During this time it is encouraged for other members of the community to show their support for the applicant. Do not be alarmed if the members of the Membership Review Board are quiet during this time; they are most likely reading wiki/launchpad/forum/other pages and deciding how they are going to vote.
12:00 <cyphermox> When the board is ready to vote, they will publicly vote in the channel with either +1, 0, or -1 (for membership, abstain, and against membership, respectively). If the sum of those numbers is positive, then the applicant is now an official Ubuntu member! (feel free congratulate them!)
12:01 <cyphermox> #voters cyphermox Pendulum jared freeflying iulian hggdh micahg
12:01 <meetingology> Warning: Nick not in channel: freeflying
12:01 <meetingology> Current voters: Pendulum cyphermox freeflying hggdh iulian jared micahg
12:01 <surgemcgee_> Sounds good.
12:02 <cyphermox> Now, without any further ado, lets get started with the first applicant...
12:02 <cyphermox> #subtopic Pietro Albini (pietro98-albini)
12:03 <pietro98-albini> Hello everybody and sorry for my bad english
12:03 <pietro98-albini> I'm Pietro Albini, an Italian boy
12:04 <pietro98-albini> I start to contribute to Ubuntu in the Italian LoCoTeam managing its website, and in January 2013 I got the LoCo membership
12:05 <pietro98-albini> After that I start to write to the LoCo newsletter and triage bugs, but I don't have enough time to triage and I stop some time ago to contribute
12:05 <warp10> I already endorsed pietro98-albini on the wiki, but I want to remark his work during the latest italian Debian/Ubuntu Community Conference, where he has proven, once again, to be a cornerstone of the italian community. Keep up the good work, Pietro!
12:06 <pietro98-albini> Other I'm an adminstrator of a new service of the LoCo, Chiedi, a "parody" of askubuntu in italian language, but due to sysadmins the service is not start now
12:06 <iulian> pietro98-albini: Would you consider restarting that, or is your decision final?
12:07 <pietro98-albini> iulian, in LoCo I do a lot of work, and I must study (i'm 14)
12:07 <iulian> pietro98-albini: I mean bug triaging.
12:07 <pietro98-albini> iulian, I know
12:08 <pietro98-albini> Also I start few days ago to moderate Ubuntu-it social network groups/pages
12:08 <pietro98-albini> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/PietroAlbini
12:08 <pietro98-albini> https://launchpad.net/~pietro98-albini
12:08 <iulian> You mentioned that you stopped doing that... do you plan to get back on it some time in the future?
12:08 <pietro98-albini> iulian, if I have a lot of free time yes
12:10 <pietro98-albini> In website team I made lots of pages, and I'm the trainer for newbies
12:10 <iulian> pietro98-albini: So your future plan is to keep working with the LoCo team, is that correct?
12:10 <pietro98-albini> iulian, yes
12:10 <pietro98-albini> iulian, I think Italian LoCo is a fantastic place with wonderful people
12:10 * warp10 nods
12:11 <iulian> Great.
12:13 <Trevinho> I also can also confirm here that pietro98-albini is doing really an amazing work for the (Italian) ubuntu community... keep up the good work!
12:14 <cyphermox> #vote Pietro Albini (pietro98-albini) to obtain Ubuntu Membership
12:14 <meetingology> Please vote on: Pietro Albini (pietro98-albini) to obtain Ubuntu Membership
12:14 <meetingology> Public votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)
12:15 <cyphermox> +1 good LoCo work, though it would be nice to see more involvement in other things too!
12:15 <meetingology> +1 good LoCo work, though it would be nice to see more involvement in other things too! received from cyphermox
12:16 <Pendulum> +1
12:16 <meetingology> +1 received from Pendulum
12:17 <hggdh> +1 Good LoCo, but please look around too ;-)
12:17 <meetingology> +1 Good LoCo, but please look around too ;-) received from hggdh
12:17 <Xenon_> +1
12:17 <micahg> +1
12:17 <meetingology> +1 received from micahg
12:18 <iulian> +0
12:18 <meetingology> +0 received from iulian
12:18 <amirolahmad> +1
12:19 <cyphermox> #endvote
12:19 <meetingology> Voting ended on: Pietro Albini (pietro98-albini) to obtain Ubuntu Membership
12:19 <meetingology> Votes for:4 Votes against:0 Abstentions:1
12:19 <meetingology> Motion carried
12:19 <pietro98-albini> :D
12:19 <warp10> pietro98-albini: ^5!
12:19 <hggdh> pietro98-albini: welcome :-)
12:19 <pietro98-albini> hggdh, thanks :D
12:19 <cyphermox> welcome pietro98-albini
12:19 <Pendulum> pietro98-albini: congrats and welcome!
12:20 <cyphermox> moving on since we have lots of applicants today :)
12:20 <cyphermox> #subtopic Mattia Migliorini (deshack)
12:20 <pietro98-albini> Thanks everybody :D
12:20 <cyphermox> deshack: you there?
12:20 <Trevinho> pietro98-albini: welcome abroad! ;)
12:20 <deshack> Hi guys, I'm italian too
12:20 <Trevinho> aboard*
12:20 <pietro98-albini> The italian band :P
12:20 <Xenon_> :D
12:21 <surgemcgee_> I am encouraged by this atmosphere. Congratulations Pietro.
12:21 * warp10 loves stereotypes and cooks some pizza
12:21 <deshack> I contribute to ubuntu-it since July 2012 (starting by contributing to the Translations Team), than became a member of the Website Team in September
12:22 <deshack> Now I'm a leader of the Press Team
12:22 <deshack> Apart from that, I'm studying Computer Science at the university
12:23 <deshack> therefore my highest interest is to become, sooner or later, Ubuntu Developer ;)
12:23 <deshack> Wiki Page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MattiaMigliorini
12:23 <deshack> Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~deshack
12:24 <ApOgEE> hi all
12:25 <iulian> deshack: Thanks.
12:26 <cyphermox> #vote Mattia Migliorini (deshack) to obtain Ubuntu Membership
12:26 <meetingology> Please vote on: Mattia Migliorini (deshack) to obtain Ubuntu Membership
12:26 <meetingology> Public votes can be registered by saying +1, +0 or -1 in channel, (private votes don't work yet, but when they do it will be by messaging the channel followed by +1/-1/+0 to me)
12:26 <iulian> +1
12:26 <meetingology> +1 received from iulian
12:26 <hggdh> +1 good work!
12:26 <meetingology> +1 good work! received from hggdh
12:26 <cyphermox> +1
12:26 <meetingology> +1 received from cyphermox
12:27 <cyphermox> nice work, I especially like the inkscape bug about size units, that seems really weird to me, I'll take a good look at it
12:27 <Pendulum> +1
12:27 <meetingology> +1 received from Pendulum
12:27 <micahg> +1
12:27 <meetingology> +1 received from micahg
12:28 <cyphermox> #endvote
12:28 <meetingology> Voting ended on: Mattia Migliorini (deshack) to obtain Ubuntu Membership
12:28 <meetingology> Votes for:5 Votes against:0 Abstentions:0
12:28 <meetingology> Motion carried
12:28 <warp10> deshack: ^5!
12:28 <pietro98-albini> deshack, :D
12:28 <deshack> cyphermox: thanks :) I don't remember if the suggestions reported there helped
12:28 <Xenon_> :D
12:28 <cyphermox> deshack: I think so, but it still seems wrong
12:28 <Pendulum> deshack: congrats and welcome!
12:28 * warp10 waves an italian flag to celebrate
12:28 <cyphermox> #subtopic Amirol Ahmad (amirolahmad)
12:29 <amirolahmad> Hello guys
12:29 <deshack> cyphermox: yes, I don't think that adjusting the ppi by hand every time helps too much
12:29 <cyphermox> amirolahmad: please introduce yourself :)
12:29 <deshack> Pendulum: thanks!
12:29 <amirolahmad> 2 Italian has pass now for asian turn
12:29 <amirolahmad> I am AmirolAhmad from Malaysia
12:30 <amirolahmad> I contribute to Malaysia Loco team and been active since 1 and half years ago
12:31 <amirolahmad> What I do for loco is i help new members in our FB groups about what Ubuntu is (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ubuntumy/). Please check out my wiki page - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AmirolAhmad)
12:32 <amirolahmad> And also i'm HAM radio members in Malaysia (9W2PDF) so I heard there is Ubuntu-HAM so i wanted to be there and lets see what i can do for the community
12:33 <amirolahmad> Working as System Administrator at my own company (www.osemspace.com) but sometime love to some programming
12:34 <amirolahmad> That's all guys
12:35 <ApOgEE> amirolahmad is an active member in Ubuntu Malaysia LoCo Team
12:35 <hggdh> amirolahmad: first of all, thank you for all your work. But I cannot see any sustained activity that I can verify
12:36 <hggdh> amirolahmad: I can see a lot of plans -- future --, but not really past. And we *need* to verify the "sustained" part of the requirement
12:37 <amirolahmad> hggdh: note about that.
12:38 <hggdh> amirolahmad: so, on my personal view: please come back later, say, half year's time. And make sure you get other people to write testimonials for you
12:38 <hggdh> amirolahmad: ideally, other Ubuntu members
12:38 <amirolahmad> I've a lot of commitment to do but what can i do is i help newbie in our Ubuntu Malaysia Loco Team in FB page
12:39 <hggdh> amirolahmad: I understand, and I appreciate. But "commitment to do" is *not* "sustained work done". And "work done" is one of our requirements
12:41 <cyphermox> Indeed
12:42 <cyphermox> amirolahmad: I'd like to invite you to re-apply for membership in a few months when you have some more work done in the community, then we'll be more than happy to have this meeting again and add you to the team
12:42 <cyphermox> let's continue the meeting
12:42 <amirolahmad> Sure and thank you :)
12:42 <cyphermox> #subtopic Robert Steckroth (surgemcgee__)
12:42 <surgemcgee__> Hello board members and potentials. My name Is Robert Steckroth (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RobertSteckroth).
12:43 <surgemcgee__> I am asking for Ubuntu Membership and would like to extend some reinforcement of my own.\
12:43 <surgemcgee__> I believe that the results of quality leadership and contributions are in reveled throughout the community which I see and experience everyday.
12:44 <surgemcgee__> This is why the Ubuntu Membership is important to me.
12:45 <jared> Good evening all, sorry I'm late, I'll be joining in for this candidate
12:45 <surgemcgee__> *revealed
12:46 <jared> surgemcgee__: Can you tell us when you started working on Ubuntu applications?
12:46 <surgemcgee__> Ubuntu application development has been a working endeacour for ~ a year.
12:47 <surgemcgee__> I started PySurface (a quickly like application) and then moved into the Touch platform.
12:47 <jared> surgemcgee__: I personally am not a developer so I'm not sure on the efforts for the work created, do you interact with other developers much? I would probably have expected a couple more testimonials.
12:49 <surgemcgee__> Hmm, I have had small amounts of contacts with Mr. Castro. Also, I am always seeking to bolster a project which I find interesting.
12:49 <Pendulum> surgemcgee__: Launchpad says you joined your state's LoCo team about a year ago, have you had any involvement with them?
12:50 <surgemcgee__> Regarding your request, I couldeve been more proactive regarding my Wiki page.
12:50 <hggdh> what worries me is the "sustained" part of the requirements (very much like the previous candidate)
12:51 <surgemcgee__> I have continued a daily interest and contibuted throughout many Ubuntu projects.
12:52 <jared> surgemcgee__: the requirement is generally for at least a full cycle (6 months) of significant and sustained contributions so we just need to see it's continued.
12:52 <Pendulum> surgemcgee__: is there anyone who can speak to how long you've been contributing? Also, to show us a bit more community involvement (Ubuntu Membership is recognition of being part of the community, as well)
12:52 <surgemcgee__> The Stock ticker app was 6 months easy.
12:53 <surgemcgee__> Also, my Loco team was not too accessible at the time, while I did put forth effort to contribute.
12:54 <jared> surgemcgee__: ok, based on the 5 minutes or so we have to evaluate each candidate I think it's too difficult to prove the sustained aspect of you application at this time.
12:55 <hggdh> I agree.
12:55 <cyphermox> I concur
12:55 <jared> surgemcgee__: my personal opinion is that I would much rather see some more testimonials from those you interact with to show significant and sustained contributions as the launchpad profile really doesn't explain most of that
12:56 <cyphermox> Let's move on to the next applicant, since we're just about out of time
12:56 <hggdh> surgemcgee__: consider returning in, say, half year's time, please
12:57 <surgemcgee__> I do, thgank you for your time.
12:57 <cyphermox> err, mzanetti doesn't seem to be here, so I don't think there are other applicants after all
12:57 <hggdh> ah well.
12:57 <hggdh> So, I guess we are done, right?
12:58 <cyphermox> yeah
12:58 <jared> surgemcgee__: it's not that it's possible you've already contributed enough but it's not really apparent enough for us to make a decision on
12:58 <jared> surgemcgee__: also happy to discuss further or give a pre-evaluation next time if you think that would be useful
12:58 <cyphermox> Thanks everyone for showing up, and I look forward to seeing re-applications later on :)
12:58 <cyphermox> #endmeeting