16:01:58 <slangasek> #startmeeting
16:01:58 <meetingology> Meeting started Wed Jan 16 16:01:58 2013 UTC.  The chair is slangasek. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/meetingology.
16:01:58 <meetingology> 
16:01:58 <meetingology> Available commands: #accept #accepted #action #agree #agreed #chair #commands #endmeeting #endvote #halp #help #idea #info #link #lurk #meetingname #meetingtopic #nick #progress #rejected #replay #restrictlogs #save #startmeeting #subtopic #topic #unchair #undo #unlurk #vote #voters #votesrequired
16:02:34 <jodh> o/
16:03:00 * stgraber waves
16:03:26 <slangasek> [TOPIC] lightning round
16:04:11 <slangasek> $ echo $(shuf -e barry doko stgraber jodh ev bdmurray slangasek ogra cjwatson xnox stokachu)
16:04:14 <slangasek> bdmurray stokachu stgraber xnox jodh doko barry slangasek cjwatson ev ogra
16:04:45 <slangasek> bdmurray: you're on :)
16:04:46 <bdmurray> rolled out errors branch allowing for source package searching
16:04:46 <bdmurray> pushed errors branch fixing issue with width of the frequency bar
16:04:47 <bdmurray> pushed daisy branch creating a counter for release:src_package to facilitate regression detection
16:04:49 <bdmurray> discussion with evan regarding error tracker and phased updates
16:04:59 <bdmurray> updated https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker/PhasedUpdates
16:05:00 <bdmurray> tested team view change to errors in canonistack
16:05:00 <bdmurray> submitted an RT to have webstats for errors.ubuntu.com
16:05:00 <bdmurray> discovered, researched and reported bug 1098250 regarding suspendresume crashes
16:05:01 <ubottu> bug 1098250 in Apport "unable to send suspend resume crash from raring" [High,Incomplete] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1098250
16:05:03 <bdmurray> investigation into inability to report distribution upgrade crashes from quantal to raring
16:05:12 <bdmurray> created a test case for bug 1077253 regarding apport
16:05:13 <bdmurray> ubuntu-release-upgrader branch fixing bugs 1072828, 1068874, 1093697, 1098001, 1067542
16:05:13 <ubottu> bug 1077253 in apport (Ubuntu Quantal) "possible for ExecutableTimestamp to not be for the binary in ExecutablePath" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1077253
16:05:16 <bdmurray> verification of Q SRU for aptdaemon bug 1060505
16:05:17 <ubottu> bug 1072828 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu Quantal) "[REGRESSION] release upgrader tool became untranslated" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1072828
16:05:18 <bdmurray> uploaded P,Q SRU for aptdaemon bug 1078544
16:05:19 <ubottu> bug 1067542 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "possible for some do-release-upgrade crashes to be unreportable" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1067542
16:05:20 <bdmurray> uploaded udev to R and a P SRU for bug 1099278
16:05:20 <bdmurray> resolved an issue with arsenal not completely removing bug tasks
16:05:21 <ubottu> bug 1093697 in Ubuntu Translations "check-new-release-gtk appears untranslated" [Medium,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1093697
16:05:22 <ubottu> bug 1068874 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "does not need to enable apport" [Medium,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1068874
16:05:23 <ubottu> bug 1098001 in ubuntu-release-upgrader (Ubuntu) "DistUpgradeController calls apport with a source package as an argument" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1098001
16:05:24 <ubottu> bug 1060505 in aptdaemon (Ubuntu Quantal) "Google Chrome is a "package of bad quality"" [Medium,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1060505
16:05:25 <ubottu> bug 1078544 in aptdaemon (Debian) "python-aptdaemon: upgrading marks auto-installed packages as manual" [Unknown,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1078544
16:05:26 <ubottu> bug 1099278 in udev (Ubuntu Precise) "Network devices with a MAC with prefix 2c:c2:60 should not be have a persistent rule" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1099278
16:05:49 <bdmurray> ⌁ done ⌁
16:06:19 <stokachu_> - Working on a lot of internal SEG projects this month, nothing public facing to report this week. done.
16:06:32 <stgraber> - Upstart (BLUEPRINT: foundations-r-upstart-user-session-enhancements)
16:06:32 <stgraber> - Working on the session socket code, going through reviews/fixes cycles now.
16:06:35 <stgraber> - Poking at a libnih bug preventing the upstart-event-bridge from working as a user.
16:06:38 <stgraber> - Talks on shutdown/reboot/logout sequence.
16:06:41 <stgraber> - Container (BLUEPRINT: servercloud-r-lxc)
16:06:43 <stgraber> - Code reviews.
16:06:46 <stgraber> - LXC upstream now supports user namespaces.
16:06:48 <stgraber> - Ported libcap to bionic, got LXC to build agsinst it.
16:06:51 <stgraber> - Re-implemented utmpx.h within LXC when building with bionic.
16:06:53 <stgraber> - Other
16:06:56 <stgraber> - Tracked down a cups-browsed bug causing a lot of upstart job respawns when avahi isn't enabled.
16:06:59 <stgraber> - Some follow-up on a weird biosdevname issue.
16:07:01 <stgraber> - Upgraded to a 3.8 kernel, helped track down a regression on ThinkPad x230/t430, fix sent upstream by Seth.
16:07:04 <stgraber> - Helped Serge track down my weird mount/loop device bug (loop devices aren't freeed under weird conditions).
16:07:07 <stgraber> - Got some new monitors with fancy DisplayPort chaining, so I've been fixing a few gnome-control-center bugs and helping debug kernel bugs.
16:07:10 <stgraber> - Networking (BLUEPRINT: foundations-r-networking)
16:07:13 <stgraber> - Some e-mails/bug activity on isc-dhcp-server-ldap not actually having LDAP support in 4.2.
16:07:16 <stgraber> - TODO
16:07:18 <stgraber> - Go through the isc-dhcp and resolvconf bugs.
16:07:21 <stgraber> - Try to apply redhat's fiberchannel patchset to our isc-dhcp.
16:07:23 <stgraber> (DONE)
16:07:56 <xnox> * usb-creator-fastboot:
16:07:56 <xnox> - made fastboot work to flash nexus7 images without sudo
16:07:56 <xnox> - made usbcreator to pop-up when nexus7 is plugged in (in a branch)
16:07:56 <xnox> - todo fastboot backend (reusing recipes from nexus7-installer)
16:07:56 <xnox> * lp:~xnox/upstart/user-log-dir
16:07:57 <xnox> - user upstart logging, work in progress (some review comments to address)
16:07:59 <xnox> * patch pilot tuesday (report sent)
16:08:01 <xnox> * unbreak devscripts, usb-creator
16:08:03 <xnox> * upload ubiquity and minor merges (dmraid, pyxdg)
16:08:05 <xnox> * discussed with server team that we want to keep clustered lvm
16:08:07 <xnox> support (dropped in debian)
16:08:09 <xnox> ..
16:08:21 <jodh> - Blueprint:
16:08:21 <jodh> - Upstart setenv+getenv MP raised. Working on '--global' option. Further
16:08:22 <jodh> feedback appreciated:
16:08:22 <jodh> https://code.launchpad.net/~jamesodhunt/upstart/setenv+getenv/+merge/142939
16:08:24 <jodh> - Reviewed lp:~xnox/upstart/user-log-dir.
16:08:27 <jodh> - Reviewed lp:~stgraber/upstart/upstart-session-socket.
16:08:31 <jodh> - Added Shutdown details to Enhanced Sessions Spec - awaiting feedback:
16:08:34 <jodh> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Specs/RaringUpstartUserSessions#Shutdown_Details
16:08:37 <jodh> - Started work on preliminary shutdown code.
16:08:41 <jodh> - SRU:
16:08:45 <jodh> - Investigating ARM build failure for SRU bug 980917.
16:08:47 <ubottu> bug 980917 in upstart (Ubuntu Precise) "Failed to create pty - disabling logging for job [SRU]" [Medium,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/980917
16:08:48 <jodh> - Other:
16:08:51 <jodh> - Investigating a customer issue.
16:08:54 <jodh> - Investigated ureadahead bug 1085766
16:08:54 <jodh> - Fixed bug 1096531 - awaiting feedback:
16:08:55 <ubottu> bug 1085766 in ureadahead (Ubuntu) "/var/log/upstart/ureadahead.log contains garbage" [High,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1085766
16:08:57 <jodh> https://code.launchpad.net/~jamesodhunt/upstart/bug-1096531/+merge/143314
16:08:57 <ubottu> bug 1096531 in upstart (Ubuntu) "After touch /forcefsck and reboot: Assertion failed in log_clear_unflushed" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1096531
16:09:01 <jodh> 🀟
16:09:04 <jodh> 
16:09:46 <doko> - OpenJDK 7 security update
16:09:46 <doko> - get creduce built and packaged, using it to scale down preprocessed source files
16:09:46 <doko> - got multiarch patches into the 4.6 and 4.7 gcc branches
16:09:46 <doko> - GCC 4.8 update
16:09:46 <doko> - buildd baby sitting
16:09:47 <doko> - merged remaining GCC bits from the cross toolchains back into GCC
16:09:49 <doko> - updated the armhf, arm64 and powerpc cross compilers
16:09:51 <doko> (done)
16:10:01 <barry> oneconf: re-enable py2 support and bug 1088536; also enabled autopkgtests. ported lazr.config to py3; released lazr.config, lazr.delegates, lazr.smtptest.  looked into bug 1097783.  python security issues.  distribute bug #349 (crash on setup.py with BOM).  done.
16:10:04 <ubottu> bug 1088536 in oneconf (Ubuntu) "Updating packaging for Python 3" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1088536
16:10:06 <ubottu> bug 1097783 in genshi (Ubuntu) "re module apis return longs now" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1097783
16:10:07 <ubottu> Error: Launchpad bug 349 could not be found
16:13:46 <cjwatson> jodh: ARM> yeah, I've been retrying it from time to time, to no avail :-/
16:13:54 <ev> Geez! Hurry up, slangasek. I want to make a tea.
16:14:06 <slangasek> ev: :P
16:14:24 <ogra_> just make a strong tea then :)
16:15:44 <slangasek> * travel last week through Wednesday, then was out sick over the weekend + Monday with the flu, so little to report
16:15:47 <slangasek> * have been working to help the Kylin team get oriented so they can meet alpha2 for 13.04
16:15:50 <slangasek> * recovery mode has regressed due to the recent mountall SRU, so working on fixing that (bug #1099349)
16:15:52 <ubottu> bug 1099349 in mountall (Ubuntu Quantal) "mountall 2.36.3 hangs in recovery-menu (lvm; mountall 2.36 has no issue)" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1099349
16:15:53 <slangasek> (done)
16:16:34 <cjwatson> Build fixes: pyparted (with Tim), sivp, gnumeric
16:16:35 <cjwatson> 12.04.2: Switched to X enablement stack for relevant images; cleaned up various associated issues due to having to use metapackages.
16:16:38 <cjwatson> Phased updates: Reviewed spec and discussed with ev/bdmurray/wgrant; fixed up some glitches in update-manager; started on Launchpad implementation.
16:16:41 <cjwatson> Cross-building: Further work on backporting architecture qualifier support to Debian buildds; met up with Wookey for status check.
16:16:44 <cjwatson> Continued work on removing nested functions from GRUB.
16:16:46 <cjwatson> Hard thinking about the situation where the language and location selected during installation don't identify a valid locale (bug 1094872).
16:16:49 <ubottu> bug 1094872 in ubiquity (Ubuntu Raring) "Installation information cause letter format instead of DIN A4" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1094872
16:16:49 <cjwatson> Looking at entropy pool issues at first boot (bug 1098299).
16:16:51 <ubottu> bug 1098299 in installation-report (Ubuntu) "entropy pool should be seeded earlier in boot process" [High,In progress] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1098299
16:16:52 <cjwatson> ..
16:17:29 <ev> - Continued work on the prodstack error tracker deployment.
16:17:29 <ev> - I've moved my testing over to EC2 from canonistack. Between the resource
16:17:29 <ev> limits (I couldn't spawn 15+ instances) and frequently getting instances in
16:17:29 <ev> the error state, canonistack was really slowing me down.
16:17:29 <ev> We need to fix this though. EC2 is expensive ($15 for two days usage), and
16:17:29 <ev> the error tracker infrastructure now cannot fit on canonistack without
16:17:29 <ev> modifying people's resource limits, which hinders our ability to test and
16:17:30 <ev> on-ramp developers.
16:17:30 <ev> - Fixing bugs in charms along the way. Pushed one fix to jjo for Cassandra,
16:17:31 <ev> and filed bug 1099917 for the other.
16:17:31 <ev> - Fixed bug 1100245 in juju with https://code.launchpad.net/~ev/juju/fix-1100245/+merge/143483
16:17:32 <ev> - A few bugs to iron out, but we're close. Webops is supposed to be picking
16:17:32 <ubottu> bug 1099917 in cassandra (Juju Charms Collection) "Cassandra charm changes cluster name incorrectly" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1099917
16:17:33 <ev> this up and throwing it at stagingstack, but they're firefighting.
16:17:33 <ev> - Code review for Brian. Discussions on the implementation of phased updates.
16:17:36 <ubottu> bug 1100245 in juju "exceptions.UnboundLocalError: local variable 'settings' referenced before assignment" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1100245
16:18:20 <ogra_> done ?
16:18:43 <slangasek> he paused for breath
16:18:58 <ogra_> doesnt sound like breath :)
16:19:02 <ogra_> more like chatting :P
16:20:18 <jodh> cjwatson: thanks :) We have fixed the issue in newer releases so I'll cherry-pick the relevant bits and make a .2 release for precise.
16:20:18 <ev> - Code review for Brian. Discussions on the implementation of phased updates.
16:20:19 <ev> - Started implementing "silent error types" after discussion with Martin:
16:20:19 <ev> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker#error
16:20:19 <ev> (DONE)
16:20:36 <ogra_> done:
16:20:37 <ogra_> * started fiddling with porting the nx7 images to xz compression
16:20:37 <ogra_> * looked into porting update-notifier to pkexec (then only xdiagnose will keep gksu on the cd)
16:20:37 <ogra_> * started on fiddling with tegra3 gstreamer codecs, seems there is half a community port to gst 1.0 already
16:20:37 <ogra_> todo:
16:20:38 <ogra_> * discuss livefs builder situation with infinity (carried over from last week)
16:20:40 <ogra_> * fix plymouth vs console-setup racing somehow (likely needs cjwatson advice) to allow initrd-less booting
16:20:43 <ogra_> ..
16:21:38 <slangasek> cool
16:21:42 <slangasek> [TOPIC] Bugs
16:21:46 <slangasek> bdmurray?
16:22:15 <bdmurray> bug 1093819 looks interesting
16:22:17 <ubottu> bug 1093819 in Wubi "Wubi installed 12.10 amd64 without configuring i386" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1093819
16:23:05 <bdmurray> I have not tested it myself though
16:23:34 <slangasek> cjwatson: any idea about that one?  where are we running dpkg --add-architecture now?
16:24:01 <cjwatson> apt-setup
16:24:04 <cjwatson> generators/01setup
16:25:02 <cjwatson> controlled by apt-setup/multiarch preseeding, which defaults to "i386" on amd64 and empty on all other arches
16:25:23 <slangasek> is it possible preseeding isn't working right under wubi?
16:25:24 <cjwatson> don't see wubi preseeding that
16:25:27 <xnox> and there is dpkg maint script to add i386.
16:25:31 <slangasek> ah
16:25:36 <cjwatson> slangasek: it would have to be actively preseeding it *off*
16:26:10 <cjwatson> should be easy to look in the preinstalled image and check, I guess
16:26:31 <cjwatson> oh yes, of course, preinstalled image so it might not run apt-setup
16:26:40 * cjwatson forgets the exact details of the new setup - ev?
16:26:57 <cjwatson> even so, dpkg.postinst should take care of it
16:27:37 <ev> oh hi
16:27:56 <ev> it's been a while for me too :), but:
16:28:14 <ev> compressed disk image unpacked, then small initramfs tomfoolery
16:28:21 <ev> for initial setup
16:29:44 <cjwatson> how much of ubiquity does it go through, if anyy?
16:29:45 <cjwatson> *any
16:29:51 <ev> none
16:29:58 <cjwatson> ok, so it's purely about the preinstalled image
16:30:13 <ev> lupin -> scripts/local-bottom/lupin_setup
16:30:26 * cjwatson peers at cdimage
16:30:41 <cjwatson> oh great, it's a tar of a root.disk so I can't easily inspect it locally ...
16:30:50 * ev whistles
16:31:23 <ev> hey man, I just make the tea around this place. Any name you find in bzr blame that looks similar to mine is purely coincidental.
16:31:49 <cjwatson> so, er, somebody with vaguely fast networking might like to download/unpack/loop-mount http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.10/ubuntu-12.10-wubi-amd64.tar.xz and see what its dpkg metadata looks like
16:32:55 <bdmurray> so then an automatic upgrade test is failing in bug 1096022
16:32:58 <ubottu> bug 1096022 in update-manager (Ubuntu) ""E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks" during lucid->precise universe upgrade of amd64" [Medium,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1096022
16:33:10 <slangasek> bdmurray: can you follow up on that download/unpack/loop-mount after the meeting, then?
16:33:52 <bdmurray> slangasek: yes, downloading now
16:34:01 <slangasek> cool
16:34:16 <slangasek> bdmurray: hum, so this is a *new* upgrade failure in the jenkins autotester?
16:34:38 <bdmurray> slangasek: that's the impression I got
16:35:05 <slangasek> do we know what date it started happening?  Maybe we can trace it to a particular SRU's publication
16:35:50 <bdmurray> hrm, actually it looks intermittent
16:35:58 <bdmurray> https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/view/Precise/view/Upgrade%20Testing%20Dashboard/job/precise-upgrade-lucid-universe/ARCH=amd64,LTS=lts,PROFILE=universe,label=upgrade-test/
16:36:39 <slangasek> oh, well then :P
16:36:46 <bdmurray> Okay, I'll look at that in more depth.
16:37:05 <bdmurray> Who could I talk to about understanding the pkgProblemResolver logs though?
16:37:30 * slangasek raises his hand
16:37:41 <bdmurray> great
16:37:57 <bdmurray> somebody in my timezone even!
16:38:38 <bdmurray> I ran across bug 1077551 again and it seems worrisome to me
16:38:41 <ubottu> bug 1077551 in aptdaemon (Ubuntu) "Installing Machinarium removes the desktop" [Medium,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1077551
16:39:08 <slangasek> something's strange about that jenkins build, though; why is Dec 27, 2012 the oldest run of the job?
16:39:34 <slangasek> did we lose history?
16:39:37 <bdmurray> there was a comment from glatzor regarding 'We already don't allow to remove "essential" packages by using aptdaemon, e.g ubuntu-minimal. Perhaps we should add some more to the list (e.g. unity or even ubuntu-desktop)?'
16:41:02 <slangasek> I'm not sure that's something that should be a policy in aptdaemon
16:41:17 <slangasek> update-manager has that kind of policy, and maybe software-center should too
16:43:35 <bdmurray> so I'll follow up with the software center team then?
16:45:06 <slangasek> sounds good to me
16:46:03 <bdmurray> then looking at errors.ubuntu.com this has a high instance count
16:46:09 <bdmurray> https://errors.ubuntu.com/bucket/?id=%2Fusr%2Fbin%2Flsb_release%3AIOError%3A%3Cmodule%3E%3Amain%3Acheck_modules_installed%3Agetoutput%3Agetstatusoutput
16:47:02 <ogra_> err, what ?
16:48:00 * ogra_ gets a weird bluescreen here
16:48:04 <bdmurray> hmm the instance I looked at has a ProcCmdline of /usr/bin/python -Es /usr/bin/lsb_release -a
16:48:22 <ogra_> clicking it gets me to http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail118.html
16:50:02 <ogra_> ev, is that on purpose or some bad joke i dont understand ?
16:50:10 <slangasek> bdmurray: very strange; why would we start seeing failures from lsb_release in 12.04, 9 months after release?
16:50:15 <ev> it means there's an error in the code
16:50:24 <ev> and it's not a bad joke! :)
16:50:28 <bdmurray> ogra_: it could be a great joke you don't understand.
16:50:37 <ev> yeah!
16:50:45 <ogra_> well, i got from the SSO page directly to that bluescreenish page
16:50:54 <ogra_> pretty scary
16:51:02 <ogra_> telling me i have a virus
16:51:03 <cjwatson> in the past I've seen failures from lsb_release which were due to people building derivatives and misconfiguring /etc/lsb-release
16:51:04 <ev> yup, digging at your error now
16:51:24 <cjwatson> not sure that fits this case though
16:51:28 <barry> i just get an sso page loop
16:51:49 <ogra_> i get that when i try it in a second tab
16:52:00 <jodh> barry: I did too until I clicked all the checkboxes :)
16:52:12 <ev> yeah, you need to send your team
16:52:16 <ev> I have a branch that makes this a bit more clear
16:52:26 <ev> ogra_: could you try again?
16:52:33 <ev> just trying to figure out which error is yours
16:52:53 * barry goes click-n-clack
16:52:54 <ogra_> ev, works now
16:53:06 <ev> damn, though it looks like it's unicode fun
16:53:11 <cjwatson> and ECHILD is just a bizarre thing to happen there
16:53:55 <cjwatson> that kind of looks like "somebody else reaped my child process before I could"
16:54:14 <jodh> bdmurray: btw - have you seen bug 1100198?
16:54:16 <ubottu> bug 1100198 in apport (Ubuntu) "source_linux.py logic fails to detect 3.8.0-0-generic as an Ubuntu kernel" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/1100198
16:54:35 <bdmurray> jodh: no, I'll have a look
16:57:25 <slangasek> bdmurray: do you want to open a bug report for the lsb_release crash, and we can add it to the stack?  It doesn't look urgent
16:58:11 <bdmurray> slangasek: sounds good
16:58:28 <slangasek> anything else?
16:58:30 <bdmurray> there might have an apport sru that changed this
16:58:36 <slangasek> hmm
16:59:21 <bdmurray> anyway, that is all
16:59:27 <slangasek> ok
16:59:29 <slangasek> [TOPIC] AOB
16:59:35 <slangasek> anything else else?
17:00:04 <cjwatson> I was wondering about an idea for the build-dep-substitution problem in cross-builds
17:00:39 <cjwatson> (e.g. that when you see Build-Depends: gcc-4.6, you probably actually want Build-Depends: gcc-4.6:native, gcc-4.6-$HOST_TRIPLET)
17:01:26 <cjwatson> What would people (esp. doko, infinity) think about a scheme whereby packages that need this kind of substitution done have some field in their package metadata (Cross-Available: yes or something) to say so?
17:01:57 <cjwatson> It would beat writing a big list into sbuild and dpkg-checkbuilddeps, having to look at the apt cache in dpkg-checkbuilddeps, or any of the other heuristics I've been able to think of
17:02:57 <slangasek> cjwatson: maybe we can take that to #ubuntu-devel for follow-up?
17:03:03 <slangasek> sorry, I'm being pulled into meetings for the client sprint :)
17:03:31 <cjwatson> Fair enough, or I might just take it to debian-devel since I believe there's an appropriate thread there at the moment
17:03:36 <slangasek> ok
17:03:39 <slangasek> #endmeeting